I have been very fortunate this semester to have the opportunity to be an assistant varsity basketball coach at Valley High School. While I grew up playing basketball, I am a baseball player at heart and do not know the ins and outs of basketball as well as I do baseball. Thus I thought that this 20% project could be an awesome opportunity to create the ultimate basketball playbook.
The team that I am currently working with does not have many plays and only runs a hand full of drills. I want to create a playbook that outlines at least five strong offensive and defensive plays as well as a plan for practices that includes specific drills. I hope to develop my skills as a basketball coach while being able to offer my players a more well rounded experience that will help them improve their skills on and off the court.
Questions I have:
- What are the most basic plays?
- How many different types of plays exist.?
- What are the best plays for beginner players?
- How many plays should a high school team have?
- What types of drills should a team run?
- How often should a team practice and for how long?
- What is the best way to motivate players?
- What types of rules should the team have?
- How many 3 point shots should a team be taking a game?
- Do famous coaches have playbooks out there?
- Man defenses or zone?
These are several of the many questions I have when it comes to coaching basketball. I will have the opportunity to work with a team while developing my project and may find that some plays and drills are great while others are horrible so there would definitely be a possibility for failure. Please give me feedback and let me know what you all think!!!